Youth HOF: Colt Moore
William “Colt” Moore was born September 29th, 2000 to Casey and Sheri Moore of Ocala, Florida. Colt is a 3rdgeneration cutting horse competitor, who was raised for most of his childhood in Florida and who now calls Oklahoma home. Cutting for his family started in Asher, Oklahoma with his grandfather Gary Don Moore who began the family’s cutting journey which then spread to his father Casey Don Moore who, with his late mother Sheri Lynn Moore, then taught Colt’s older brother Kolby Don Moore and his self this amazing sport.
Throughout Colt’s schooling his family moved around a lot and hauled to cuttings so he pursued home schooling. He graduated in 2019 with the help of Mrs. Jody Mcglothlin at Grace Christian Academy. He will be attending Northern Oklahoma State University in the fall, the scholarships the NYCHA has allowed Colt to win has given him the financial opportunity to go to college.
Colt first started his cutting career when he was six-years-old at the costume cutting in Jackson, Mississippi. Colt then went on to win his first NCHA check and buckle on the same day on Peppys Bo Diddley (Owned by: Daniel Keene) who at the time was his big brother Kolby’s main mount. From that point on he has been blessed to have the opportunity to have some of these memorable wins:
- NCHA Jr. Youth Rookie of the year
- NCHA Jr. Youth World Champion/ Riding: Special Order Paint
- NCHA Jr. Youth World Show Champion/ Riding: Denim and Curls
- NCHA Jr. Youth Res. World Champion
- NCHA Jr. Youth Eastern Nationals Res. Champion/ Riding: Catscratch Sister
- 2x NCHA Sr. Youth Eastern Nationals Champion/ Riding: Catscratch Sister and Highbrow Nadine
- NCHA Sr. Youth Western Nationals Champion/ Riding: Badazz Cat
- NCHA Summer Scholarship Cutting Res. Champion/ Riding: Catscratch Sister
- 10x NCHA Jr./Sr. Youth Top 15 Youth World Finalist
- 11x NCHA Area 16 Jr./ Sr. Youth Champion
Colt has had the opportunity to ride a lot of horses in the Youth over the years but some of the most memorable are:
- Peppys Bo Diddley owned by: Daniel Keene
- Trickalenas Choice owned by: Daniel Keene
- Special Order Paint owned by: Frank and Ora Diehl
- Denim and Curls owned by: Buddy and Cynthia Harr
- Catscratch Sister Owned by: Casey and Sheri Moore
- Highbrow Nadine owned by: Kolby Moore
- Ristos Delta King owned by: Bert and KC Townsend
- Playgun Is Smart Owned by: Rick and Lisa Jacobs
- Highwood Dancer owned by: Casey and Sheri Moore
- CD San Peppy owned by: Terri Bowden
There are many others, but these horses and owners have had an instrumental part in his success as a Youth!
Colt has served as the Area 16 Director for many years and then became the NYCHA Vice-President. Being inducted into the Hall of Fame means a lot to Colt knowing that what he did in the youth mattered. He is proud to join the Hall of Fame with his father Casey Moore and brother Kolby Moore.
The NCHA Youth has meant the world to Colt and his family and without it he would not be as far along in his cutting career. Colt would also like to add that none of this could have happened for him without great people and horses! He would like to thank anyone who has ever allowed him to show their horses, his parents Casey and Sheri Moore for sacrificing so much for him to compete and be successful in the sport he loves, all of his family and friends that has been supportive, and of course his lord and savior Jesus Christ that has blessed him with the opportunities.
One thing he would like to say to the current NYCHA members is “Never take a run for granted, learn something each time you walk to the heard; it can be good or bad.”