Changes for Summer Cutting
NCHA IMPLEMENTS NEW PROTOCOLS FOR THE UPCOMING SUMMER CUTTING SPECTACULAR
In response to COVID-19, the National Cutting Horse Association (NCHA) has implemented new protocols and guidelines to protect the competitors and fans at the upcoming NCHA Metallic Cat Summer Cutting Spectacular.
NCHA has been working with the Will Rogers Memorial Complex, the City of Fort Worth and the Texas Animal Health Commission to ensure the health and safety of the competitors and their horses. The 2020 NCHA Metallic Cat Summer Cutting Spectacular will be July 10 through August 1 in Fort Worth, Texas. The full schedule can be found online at nchacutting.com/events/summer-spectacular.
The changes in place for the 2020 event are as follows:
NCHA will be checking health papers and Coggins test results for all horses on grounds. Once the papers have been reviewed, all horses will receive a back number that must be worn in both the competition arena and all practice areas. Back numbers will be pinned on the left side of the horse’s saddle blanket and must be visible at all times. Every horse on the grounds will be required to have a back number; this will include all horses competing, turnback horses, and any horse using the practice facilities on site. Paperwork for horses competing must be checked in at the show office. NCHA will be requiring all name changes and substitutions be made at the show office by 5:00 PM the night prior to competition. There will be additional check-in stations in the practice areas and stall office for exhibitors to present health papers and receive back numbers for all non-competing horses.
Example of the back number being worn in competition. Photo by Shane Rux
Additionally, in compliance with Will Rogers Memorial Complex, all entered horses will be required to purchase a stall for the event. This directive is in place to encourage the reduction of daily travel in and out of the complex. Exhibitors will need to purchase their stalls before July 1. Stalls may be purchased online at nchacutting.com/events/summer-spectacular or by calling the NCHA Office at 817-244-6188.
The NCHA Executive Committee voted and passed several rule changes for the 2020 NCHA Metallic Cat Summer Cutting Spectacular based on entry numbers and to provide competitors with an ideal experience. The following changes have been made for the 2020 show:
- The 4-year-old Open will be paid out 50 percent to the Semi-Finals and 50 percent to the Finals
- The 4-year-old Non-Pro will take 25 percent of the total entries to the Finals with no Semi-Finals
- The 5/6-year-old Open will pay out 40 percent of the total purse to 35th place, plus ties, from the composite scores from the go-rounds. The remaining 60 percent of the purse will be paid out in the Finals.
- The 5/6-year-old Non-Pro will take 25 percent of the total entries to the Finals, there will not be a payout for composite go-round scores
For the complete rules for the 2020 NCHA Metallic Cat Summer Cutting Spectacular, with the updated rule changes, please visit nchacutting.com/events/summer-spectacular.
NCHA wants to ensure a safe and gratifying experience for our competitors and will continue to monitor the guidelines set forth by the City of Fort Worth and the State of Texas concerning COVID-19 and social distancing. NCHA will release a complete list of protocols and guidelines closer to the start of the event.