NYCHA Youth Week Contest Information
These contests are open to all NYCHA members; you do not have to attend the Summer Cutting Spectacular or the Youth Convention to participate in the contests. Prizes will be awarded including one scholarship for the best in each division. You can even earn LEAP points by submitting an entry!
- Senior (14-18)
- Junior (13 and Under)
NYCHA Essay Contest
Topic: What Does “Cutting-Up” Mean to You
Relate essay to your friends or family and experience involving cutting
- Essays should be 1000 words or less. 12 pt. text, double spaced.
- Essays will be judged on spelling, punctuation, grammar and content.
- Essays must be typed or will be automatically disqualified.
- Each essay must have a cover sheet stating the contestant’s name, address, phone number andmember number; the title of the essay; and the age division in which the entrant will becompeting.
NYCHA Photo Contest
Topic: Cuttin-Up with Friends Photo must be a selfie of you and your friends CUTTIN-UP or a photo that you took of your family and/or friends CUTTIN-UP. Guidelines
- Photos must be the NYCHA member’s own work and must have been taken during the last 12months.
- Photos will be judged on composition, exposure, and originality. Photos may be color or black& white.
- Any type of camera including cell phones may be used. Please do not mount photos. Placephoto in sheet protector. Entries must be submitted as 8”x10” photographs.
- A separate sheet of paper must be included with each photo stating the contestant’s name,NYCHA member number, age division, and a caption describing the photo.
- Members may submit as many photos as they wish.
- If a photo includes people, please identify each person.
NYCHA Artwork Contest
Your entry can be a drawing, a painting, or leatherwork and needs to be of you, friends, family and fun
- Artwork must be the NYCHA member’s own work and must have been done during the last 12months. Artwork will be judged on creativity and originality Please do not mount drawing andartwork. Place your project in a protective sleeve or a protected enclosure for mailing.Drawings and Paintings must be submitted as 8”x10” sheet.
- A separate sheet of paper must be included with each artwork stating the contestant’s name,NYCHA member number, age division, and a caption describing the artwork. Members maysubmit as many artworks as they wish.
NYCHA Speech Contest
Topic: The Challenge to Succeed
Success can be at school, cutting, sports, life or the subjects
- The NYCHA theme for the current year for your speech contest is The Challenge to Succeed.
- The prepared speech contest gives contestants a chance to showcase their knowledge of the theme for the year, which is The Challenges to Succeed, while delivering a two and half minute speech based on the challenges it has taken to succeed up to this point your life.
****All entries are the property of NYCHA and will not be returned. Winning essay, artwork, and speech’s may be used for promotional purposes. Winning contest material may be used for promotional purposes.
****All contest not meeting the above guidelines will be disqualified.
****NYCHA is not responsible for damage to photos during shipping. We suggest you package artwork with bubble wrap and cardboard. Be sure to mark packages with “Do Not Bend”.
All artwork must be postmarked by June 1, 2019 and mailed to:
NYCHA Essay Contest: 260 Bailey Avenue, Fort Worth, TX 76107.
Questions regarding the NYCHA Contest can be directed to:
NCHA Youth Coordinator, Michael Simmons
at (303) 472-4326 or firstname.lastname@example.org