What is Class-Leveling?
The Competition Committee established a Leveling task force to research, assess and develop a proposed Class-leveling system to implement at NCHA Produced Events. The goal of the Class-leveling system is to create a level playing field for competitors and to grow participation across all levels. The analysis and research from the Competition Committee task force resulted in a Class-leveling system that consists of three levels within each division (Open, Non-Pro, Amateur). Each level is determined by Lifetime Earnings.
Leveling will be placed in effect at the 2020 NCHA Super Stakes
Below is an overview based upon the proposal material provided by the NCHA Competition Committee, Leveling task force:
Additional Class Details
- Each level within a division is its own class and a rider may enter up if they choose.
- Senior, Gelding and Novice Classes remain the same as a class within a class.
- There is NO exception to roll back to the Limited Division.
- If a rider chooses to enter more than one level in a class, show management must ensure that a horse will not be drawn twice in the same set. In addition, if a rider chooses to enter all three levels in one division, he/she must combo one of the runs so that a horse will only be shown twice in the same class.
Once a rider turns 70, the rider can drop down into the Intermediate class regardless of earnings.
If a rider is NOT in the Top 100 money earning riders from the previous point year, in ANY division, they may drop back into the Intermediate class.
Once an Amateur has won $250,000 or more in Total Non-Pro LAE and Non-Pro Championship weekend money, they MUST make a choice:
- to remain an Amateur and compete exclusively in the Amateur Division
- to compete in the Non-Pro Division
Non-Pro Championship Weekend money EXCLUDES Novice Horse Non-Pro and $35k Non-Pro earnings.
Once a Non-Pro has won $250,000 or more in Total Open LAE and Open Championship weekend money, they MUST make a choice:
- to remain a Non-Pro and compete exclusively in the Non-Pro Division
- to compete in the Open Division
Open Championship Weekend money EXCLUDES Novice Horse earnings.
If you have questions regarding the proposed leveling system please contact the NCHA office at email@example.com.